Good Monday morning, all! Is anyone else super pumped to be back into a normal routine today? Don’t get me wrong, I really love having long weekends and spending extra quality time with family- but I am a gal who loves a solid routine.
After 3 or 4 days of relaxing, indulgent food, wine, wedding dancing and 3 days off from the gym- let’s just say I am more than ready to hit the gym today after work! Plus its leg day- YESl
Anyways, enough about me- On to the good stuff!
Alrighty, for those of you who caught my post last night, you probably saw that I mentioned an upcoming holiday challenge. Well, here she is:
The 30 Day Holiday Health Challenge is something I came up with over the weekend. Everyone always talks about making New Year’s resolutions. Likewise, everyone tends to wait until New Year’s to make them. Not only that, but the statistics are pretty discouraging. 35% of people who make New Year’s resolutions break them.
Unfortunately, I can say that I am definitely one of them. I don’t know what it is, but I never fail to break my resolutions, and it usually doesn’t take me too long to do it.
Well, not this year friends! This year, I’m taking the initiative to insert all of my “New Year’s resolutions” into my lifestyle before the New Year.
By doing it this way, I’m hoping that by the time January 1st rolls around, everything I want to incorporate into doing next year will already feel like a habit- or at the very least, I’ll have bettered myself in some way! It’s a win/win.
Here’s how the challenge works:
- There are 2 components- healthy eating and exercise ( you can choose to do one or the other, or both!)
- The challenge is 30 days long, and begins today– December 2nd. It ends on December 31st.
- For the fitness component, you can choose from really any fitness related goals- incorporate a new style of training into your routine, try a new-to-you exercise/move every day, try a new fitness class once a week, join a boot camp, start strength training, add 5 extra minutes to your workout every week, ect. The possibilities are endless! Or, deam each day of the week a specific training day for a given muscle group/cardio exercise and stick with that for the 30 days. Whatever you choose, just make sure it’s something you can sustain for a month!
- For the healthy eating component, it’s super versatile as well- something like trying a new healthy recipe once a week, introducing a new-to-you healthy food every day, trying “clean eating”, cutting back on soda/coffee, trying to eat less processed food, ect. Again, lots of possibilities here!
The focus of this challenge isn’t to lose weight or “get in shape”, even though those will likely be some of the perky byproducts of introducing some of these other New Year’s worthy healthy habits into your life. 😉
Instead, the focus is on health (hence the challenge name) and trying to find a fun way of beating the New Year’s resolution curse- all while trying out some new exercises or finding a great way to “healthify” your favorite holiday treat in the process!
Here are my personal Holiday Health Challenge goals:
- add an extra 5 minutes onto my workouts every week
- try at least one new fitness class
- incorporate yoga or pilates into my rest days on Sundays
- “eat clean” 6 days a week
- try one new healthy recipe a week
Of course, I’ll be reporting everything back here on the ol’ blog. Half the battle is accountability, and I’m very lucky to have this little sounding board here to help with that. 🙂
If you want to take part in the Holiday Health Challenge (and the possibility for giveaways and prizes!) feel free to leave a comment and let me know, or follow the blog for posts and updates!